YOURLS is an URL shortener, just like bit.ly or goo.gl, but you are allowed to install your own private instance. So you can diminish the tracking of these big platforms ;-)
This piece of software is an extension for the browser Firefox that let’s you quickly shorten the URL of the website you are just visiting. All you need is a Firefox and an installation of YOURLS. You can also find this plugin at Mozillas addon service platform.
This add-on for the Firefox consists of three modifications of your browser overlay:
- Toolbar-button: This button comes with a menu, you can shorten the current page or open a new window browsing to the admin page of your YOURLS API:
- Context-menu: A new entry is integrated in your browsers context menu, that will shorten the current page:
You can also select some text on the website to give a hint about the keyword (works only if you setup the extension to ask for keywords):
- Statusbar-button: In addition a small button is placed into the add-ons status bar, a click shortens the current page:
The result of a shortening will be displayed in an alert box:
The setup can be done in the Add-ons Manager (browse to about:addons). Click on the Preferences button next to the YOURLS shortener entry and you’ll see a window like this:
Following values should be provided:
- API URL
- The URL to your YOURLS installation. In my case it’s https://s.binfalse.de/
- The signature of your account. You will find this string on the Tools page in the Secure passwordless API call section. This string is not required for public YOURLS installations.
- Ask for a keyword?
- Should the extension ask for a keyword before shortening? If this box is checked you’ll always be asked like this:
Not providing such a keyword has the same effect as unchecking the box: The API will decide about the short URL.
- Max wait time
- How many seconds should we wait for an answer from the API before we give up?